Looking for a healthy black bean sweet potato soup? This is a thick soup that is filled with healthy ingredients that is sure to fill you up. Perfect for a cold night or as a light lunch idea.
❤️ Why you'll love it
This comforting black bean sweet potato soup is incredibly flavorful and creamy, yet it's vegan and gluten-free. Sweet potatoes bring a beautiful sweetness to the mix while black beans add plenty of fiber.
- Easy plant-based protein
- Budget-friendly meal
- Heart dinner
- Quick lunches or dinners throughout the week
Get the full list of ingredients, with measurements, and step-by-step instructions at the bottom of the post in the printable recipe card.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red onion
- Green bell pepper
- Red bell pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Ground cumin
- Chili powder
- Dried oregano
- Sweet potatoes
- Tomato paste
- Black beans
- Vegetable broth
- Frozen corn
- Fresh cilantro
- Lemon juice
🍳 How to Make
Get the full step-by-step instructions at the bottom of the post in the printable recipe card.
- Sautee the veggies until soft.
- Add the seasoning and cook together until fragrant.
- Add the sweet potatoes, tomato paste, and beans. Next, add the broth. Cook until tender.
- Top with cilantro and corn. Serve.
- You can add some of your favorite veggies, such as mushrooms or spinach.
- If you're feeling adventurous, why not add a touch of paprika and cumin for an extra kick?
- For a Mexican twist, throw in some diced tomatoes and avocado wedges.
- You can also switch out the black beans for another type of bean, such as pinto or red kidney. Give the soup a slightly different taste, try adding mashed sweet potatoes instead of diced ones.
- Add protein. You can add ground beef or shredded chicken.
- Throw in rice, quinoa, or pasta to bulk it up.
- Blend it. For a creamy, velvety soup, blend all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Top it off with some fresh herbs for an extra layer of flavor.
🍽️ What to Serve With
- This soup is delicious on its own, but if you're looking to turn it into a heartier meal, serve it with a side of crusty bread, 2 ingredient dough rolls, or warm tortillas.
- Top it off with some shredded cheese and diced avocado for extra creaminess and texture.
- For a low-carb option, serve it with roasted cauliflower, zucchini, or butternut squash noodles.
- Pair it with a green salad or your favorite side dish.
- Don't forget dessert. Weight Watchers Chocolate Cheesecake is the perfect way to end the meal.
Refrigerator Storage: This can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freezer Storage: Allow it to cool completely before transferring it into an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. Freeze for up to 2 months. When you're ready to eat, defrost overnight in the refrigerator.
Reheat: Place the leftovers in a pot and heat over low-medium heat until hot, stirring occasionally. To reheat in the microwave, transfer the soup to a microwave-safe dish and heat in 1-minute increments until hot. Add a splash of broth or water to thin it out if needed.
- Make sure you season well with salt and pepper - this adds so much flavor to the soup.
- Use sweet potatoes that are smaller in size, so they cook quickly.
- Be sure to simmer the soup until it thickens - this will give it a creamy texture.
- Rinse the canned black beans. This will remove any extra starch or salt from the beans.
Yes. This soup is packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals from sweet potatoes and black beans. It's also vegan and gluten-free.
Absolutely. The soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 2 months.
Yes. You can add some diced jalapenos or chili peppers to the soup for an extra kick. You can also experiment with adding more spices, such as cumin, paprika, and chili powder.
Have you joined our Weight Watchers Facebook Group? Free recipes and support. Perfect for everyone!
Need to change the number of servings? You can click on the number of servings and change the number. This will adjust the ingredient measurements to what you need.
If you love this recipe, come back and give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 30 oz black beans rinsed and drained
- 3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat and add red onion and bell peppers. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies become soft and fragrant, around 4-5 minutes.
- Add crushed red pepper, cumin, chili powder, and dried oregano. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the spices become fragrant, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, tomato paste, and black beans. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and stir to combine. Add vegetable broth and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in the corn, cilantro and fresh lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired, before serving. Enjoy!
🍴How Many WW Points are in This Recipe
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup comes in at 4 points per serving. The recipe makes 4 servings, so it is great as a simple dinner or something to make for lunch all week long.
This is a direct link to the recipe in the WW recipe builder app. You can see the recipe as well as add it to your daily food tracker. This only works for WW members in the US. If you are outside of the US, you will need to enter it manually.