Get your taste buds ready for an explosion of flavor with this classic Mexican chopped salad recipe - it's full of fresh ingredients, zesty spices, and a hint of lime.
If you are looking for a zesty and delicious salad for different dinner or lunch idea, then this is one to check out. There is nothing better than something cool and refreshing that's also flavorful.
❤️ Why you'll love it
This chopped Mexican salad is fresh, light, and full of flavor.
- The crunchy vegetables combined with the zesty spices make it a great side dish for any meal.
- It's packed with vitamins and minerals that are essential for healthy living.
- Super easy to make and comes together in no time.
Get the full list of healthy ingredients, with measurements, and step-by-step instructions at the bottom of the post in the printable recipe card.
- Sweet Corn
- Extra virgin olive oil spray
- Iceberg lettuce
- Fresh arugula
- Fresh cilantro
- Red bell pepper
- Medium red onion
- Black bean
- Fresh lime juice
- Ground cumin
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Avocado Salad Dressing, Mexican Salad Dressing, or your favorite salad dressing
🍳 How to Make
Get the full list of ingredients, with measurements, and step-by-step instructions at the bottom of the post in the printable recipe card.
Spray the corn with the cooking spray and place it on the grill or on a grill pan. Cook corn until it is slightly charred, turning a quarter of a turn every few minutes. Slice the corn kernels off the cob.
In a large salad bowl, toss the lettuce, arugula, and cilantro to combine.
In another large mixing bowl, combine diced bell pepper, red onion, black beans, corn, lime juice, and cumin. Salt and pepper to taste.
Toss the two mixtures together and top with creamy avocado dressing.
Hint: The avocado dressing made with Greek yogurt is optional but recommended. I think the flavors pair perfectly together.
- Feel free to add other fresh vegetables or ingredients such as cherry tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, or roasted red peppers.
- In addition to the avocado lime dressing, balsamic vinegar, honey lime dressing, cilantro lime dressing, or another simple dressing.
- Top with tortilla strips, queso fresco, or cotija cheese
🍽️ What to Serve
- This delicious salad can be made as a main dish or as a best easy side dish.
- This Mexican chopped salad pairs great with tacos, enchiladas, and quesadillas.
- It also makes a great side dish for grilled steak or chicken.
- Try pairing it with some Mexican rice and refried beans, and you have yourself a complete meal.
- Don't forget dessert. Try this Mango Sorbet Recipe
This is the kind of salad that is perfect for meal prep. When I am making it to eat over a few days, I do not store the whole thing together, but tend to keep it in individual bowls. This will help the Mexican salad last longer than when the fresh veggies are stored together.
Refrigerator Storage: Store the salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freezing: This salad does not freeze well, so it is best eaten within a few days of making it.
- This salad is all about the flavors, so make sure to taste and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Adding creamy avocado dressing gives it a nice extra flavor boost that pairs perfectly with all the other ingredients.
Yes, you can use canned corn, but it is best to use fresh or frozen for the best flavor and texture. Fresh corn takes on extra flavor when it is charred.
You can add some freshly sliced jalapeño peppers to the mix for a bit of kick. You could also use a spicy Mexican salsa as the dressing instead of avocado dressing.
While I typically use iceberg lettuce, I also make it will also make it with romaine lettuce.
This recipe is 0 points since all of the ingredients are free foods. When you add the avocado dressing, it comes in at 2 points per salad. This is a simple, easy dinner that the whole family will like.
Need to change the number of servings? You can click on the number of servings and change the number. This will adjust the ingredient measurements to what you need.
If you love this recipe, come back and give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Mexican Chopped Salad
- 2 large ears of fresh corn husks and silk removed
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head iceberg lettuce chopped
- 2 cup fresh arugula chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- ½ medium red onion diced
- 15 oz. black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 large lime cut into 8 wedges
- Brush corn with olive oil spray and place on a pre-heated gas grill over medium direct heat, or indoors on a grill pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray set over medium-high heat.
- Cook corn until kernels are slightly charred, rotating one-quarter turn every couple of minutes until each side is done. Remove from heat and slice kernels from cob with a sharp knife. Reserve kernels and discard cobs. Set aside.
- Add chopped iceberg, arugula, and fresh cilantro to a large salad bowl and toss gently to combine. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine diced bell pepper, red onion, black beans, roasted corn kernels, lime juice, and ground cumin. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and toss gently to combine.
- Add the seasoned black bean mixture to the bowl with the chopped lettuce and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately with Creamy Avocado Dressing or your favorite salad dressing. Enjoy!
Have you joined our Weight Watchers Facebook Group? Free recipes and support. Perfect for everyone!