This Caprese chicken recipe is a quick and easy way to get that delicious Caprese flavor in every bite. The best part is that it only takes 30 minutes from start to finish, making it the perfect weeknight dinner option. Serve with a side of whole wheat pasta or roasted vegetables for a complete meal.
Making dinner doesn't have to take forever or cost a lot of money. With a few ingredients, you can serve up meals like this.
❤️ Why you'll love it
This recipe is simple enough for weeknight dinners yet elegant enough for special occasions.
- It's full of flavor and easy to make.
- The combination of tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella creates a classic Italian flavor.
- You'll never miss the fat and calories in this healthy dish.
Get the full list of ingredients, with measurements, and step-by-step instructions at the bottom of the post in the printable recipe card.
- Boneless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Grape tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper
🍳 How to Make
Below are in process photos for your reference. You will find a complete breakdown of the instructions at the bottom of the post.
Season the chicken. Heat oil in the pan and sear the chicken until golden brown. Remove from pan.
Add the balsamic vinegar and garlic to the pan. Cook for 1 minute.
Add fresh basil and grape tomatoes to the sauce.
Return the chicken to the pan, add cheese and cook until the cheese melts.
- Try adding different vegetables such as zucchini or eggplant.
- You can also try using a different cheese like bocconcini or feta instead of sliced mozzarella.
- Try using a different herb such as oregano or rosemary instead of basil to create an entirely different flavor.
🍽️ What to Serve
- A simple side of pasta or zoodles, like butternut squash noodles or spaghetti squash noodles.
- Roasted vegetables like air fryer asparagus or pan-roasted Brussels sprouts.
- You can also serve it over top of a bed of greens for a light meal.
- Mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower.
- For an extra flavor boost, try serving with a side of balsamic reduction to pour over everything.
Refrigerator Storage: Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freezer Storage: You can also freeze the leftovers for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Reheat: Reheat in the oven or microwave until heated through.
- The key to getting the perfect Caprese chicken is to use fresh ingredients.
- Be sure to not overcook the chicken. The goal is for it to stay juicy and tender.
- If you want a crispier texture, you can broil it in the oven at the end of cooking time.
- But don't forget to baste it with the sauce throughout cooking time for an extra flavor boost.
- Don't skimp on the fresh basil and mozzarella. They are essential ingredients in this dish and make a huge difference in the overall flavor.
Yes, this Chicken Caprese is a healthy and low-calorie dish. It also contains plenty of protein and fiber to keep you full for longer.
Yes, you can easily prepare the dish in advance and refrigerate it until ready to cook. The sauce will become even more flavorful as it sits.
Yes, you can easily make it vegetarian by omitting the chicken and using a meatless chicken substitute. You can also use tofu and give it the flavor of the sauce.
Need to change the number of servings? You can click on the number of servings and change the number. This will adjust the ingredient measurements to what you need.
If you love this recipe, come back and give it 5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Chicken Caprese Recipe
- Cutting board
- medium sized bowl
- 1- pound boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1- pint grape tomatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Heat the olive oil on medium high heat in a large skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn over and repeat. Remove the chicken, place it on a bowl and set it aside.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and garlic to the pan. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the basil.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 5-7 minutes or until soft.
- Return the chicken to the skillet. Place the mozzarella slices on top of the chicken. Cover until the cheese melts.
How Many WW Points
I love anything with chicken breast because it tends to be low in points. This recipe comes in at 3 points per serving when using part-skim mozzarella cheese slices. You can easily make it even lower if you chose to use fat-free mozzarella cheese.
This is a direct link to the recipe in the WW recipe builder app. You can see the recipe as well as add it to your daily food tracker. This only works for WW members in the US. If you are outside of the US, you will need to enter it manually.
Have you joined our Weight Watchers Facebook Group? Free recipes and support. Perfect for everyone!